Saturday, July 28, 2012

Zucchini Bread

I had started this blog back in February as a way for my friends and family (especially my children) to have my recipes that I have cooked for them, on hand.  It seemed simple.  I wasn't expecting to have stories to go along with the food, but they sort of go hand in hand.

What I can't believe I haven't told you all is why I enjoy cooking so much.  It finally occurred to me after our most recent trip to Texas. We went in July to visit my Grandmother (my Mem) who turned 85 years old while we were there.  Let's be clear, she does not look or act like she's 85 one bit.  She is spunky and has a fire in her...and she does not take crap from anyone (sound like someone?).  She's a card shark and loves shoes.  She has a sweet Canadian accent and she also happens to be an amazing cook.  She will cook her face off for the people that she loves, and I happen to be lucky enough to be one of them.  She loves me and my little family that my husband and I have created, unconditionally.  She shows her love through her food...just like I do.  Aside from passing me her curly hair gene, she also passed the love through food gene down to me.  I adore this woman.  I adore her so much I named one of my babies after her.  She's that amazing.

Years ago when she was still living in Florida she gave me a few of her most well known recipes...I can't even mention what they are since other family members will then hound me for them.  I mean, who really wants that?  LOL!  I still have them written down on the same paper I used to document them all in her kitchen way back when.  One of those recipes was for her zucchini bread.

Having grown up with her and my Grandfather, this bread was something I had often.  Come summer time when her garden was spitting out courgettes left and right, she would make her bread and freeze it.  This was especially fantastic because I would never know when to expect it...sometimes it was for The Love Boat on Friday night, Saturday morning cartoons, after school snack.  You just never knew when she would bust out a loaf of this incredible bread.  So when we arrived in Texas this last time she had a platter of goodies and one was slices of "The" zucchini bread.  Sigh.  I told you she was wonderful.

So with all that gushing let me just tell you this...I modified her recipe.  OMG.  I can't believe I even attempted it, never mind now publish it on my blog.  I do believe once my Old Girl sees it and tries it (I'm sending her a loaf along with a sack of tomatoes, TX tomatoes are nasty according to her!) that she will love it.



Here's What You Need
  • 2¼ Cups Sugar
  • 3 Eggs
  • ½ Cup Applesauce, unsweetened
  • ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
  • 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
  • 1½ Cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1½ Cups Bread Flour (or AP flour)
  • 1½ Teaspoons Cinnamon
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • ¼ Teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 2 Cups Raw Zucchini, grated
  • ½ Cup Chocolate Chips, I used Ghirardelli (optional)
  • ½ Cup Walnuts, chopped (again, optional)
Preheat your oven to 350℉.  Prepare two bread pans with your vegetable spray of choice.
Combine your sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla, I use my stand mixer.  Mix your dry ingredients in a bowl and then add in 3 parts to the wet.  Remember what you have heard about over mixing once flour is added.  Just mix the wet and dry until they come together.  Stop the mixer, add the zucchini, along with the chocolate and walnuts if you decide to add them and mix for 10 seconds.  I'm telling you, it's the magic number.  Everything gets mixed yet you don't turn out bricks once it's baked.
Bake both for 50-60 minutes.  I actually check mine at 45 minutes and the color is usually good but it still needs to hang out in the oven a bit longer...I just take a large piece of aluminum foil and place it over the two pans.  This prevents it from browning on the top any longer but allows the center to continue cooking for the last few minutes.
I hope you enjoy this treat and share it with someone you love...that's what my Grandmother and I would expect.  ❤

Bon Appetit...it's time to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment