Thursday, July 12, 2012

Frittata with Cheddar

Frittata's are one of my "I Have No Idea What I'm Making For Dinner And Have 3 Hungry Children Demanding Food Or They Will Die" meal.  I make it for everything...breakfast, appetizers for play dates, lunch with a salad, dinner with salad, side and grilled bread.  Name it...this works for it.  Unless it's a dessert party.  This would suck for that.
So this was the other request I had gotten from the largest one after she had to have 4 teeth extracted to make room in her mouth for big teeth and eventually braces.  The dentist tells me she has a small mouth but she sounds so freaking loud at home that I really had to sit back and question his degree.  I may have to go online and find out if he graduated from  an accredited school or an online version.  I'm not joking.
She also requested Risotto.  I made that too!  My poor baby!
Notice that adult beverage in the background?  My husband and I fight over who gets the pink straws...tonight I lost the battle but he was the one making the Vodka Tonics so I really didn't mind too much!  I'm not very happy with the picture but until I make it again, this is the best I can do for you.  My bad.


Here's What You Need
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • ½ Onion, I use Vidalia or a sweet type usually
  • 1 Large Portabella Mushroom, chopped small
  • 1 Medium Zucchini, quartered and sliced
  • 1 Bunch Beet Greens, about 3 cups chopped
  • ¼ Cup Parsley
  • 10 eggs, beaten
  • ½ Cup Milk
  • 1 Cup "Seriously Sharp" Cheddar
Preheat your stove to 350˚.
As usual I start with a large pan, oven safe this time, butter, olive oil and onion.  Stir them around with some salt and pepper for a few minutes and then add in your mushrooms.  After a few minutes of these two getting to know one another add in the zucchini and saute them all until they are to your liking.  Personally I like mine with some color.  Next comes the beet greens...if you are afraid of them add in something else like spinach, arugula or kale.  I will say beets and their greens are some of my favorite things on the planet.  No joke.  While the veggies are working their magic crack the eggs, add the milk and whisk away.  I like to get a little bit of air into them.   Once your green of choice has wilted down enough to your liking (spinach will take no time, while kale will still keep it's body) spread the filling around the pan evenly and add in the egg mixture gently so as to not disturb the filling.  I keep the heat on medium/low to medium.  This is when you add your cheese...spread it around the top of the mix and just leave it.  Wait until the edges are just set, the middle will still be liquid and then put it on the middle rack of your stove.  This is where the oven proof pan comes in handy.  You will have to wait 13-15 minutes or just until the middle is set and not jiggling.
We cut ours like a pie and have hot sauce on the table.  If you're serving the frittata as an appetizer I cut it into 16th's.  If it's a main meal I cut it into 8th's and I serve it with a salad or other side.
Bon Appetit...it's time to eat!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, poor baby!! BIG hugs to your oldest!
    Believe it or not, I have NEVER made a Frittata!!
    I KNOW, crazy, hunh??
    I'll have to make it and let you know what I think. Never had a vodka tonic either. Could be a night of "firsts" for me! Maybe I should go all out and bring dinner to the Beach!!!!
    Have fun at the zoo. Say hi to the Two Spotted Assassin Bug for me! Hey, there's a giraffe cam, you should stand in front of it and message me, so I can see your family wave to me! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh forget it. The giraffe cam is broken.
    SO BUMMED!!!

    ReplyDelete