Sunday, May 13, 2012

Roasted Banana Muffins

I make these muffins for my babies and every single time I am praised, hugged and the best person on the face of the earth.  Every single time.  I usually make them for breakfast but there has been the random occasion when someone has had a tough day or it's cold and rainy and they want to bake something.  I always have the ingredients on hand.  I ended up making these this morning, Mother's Day morning more specifically.  I was a complete rock star to them and I loved it.  ❤
These muffins are so easy and can even be mixed the night before and baked off in the am when you are blurry eyed trying to get breakfast ready for your family.  Just don't add the mashed bananas until the morning of.


Here's what you need
  • 1/2 cup Butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cup Sugar
  • 2 Eggs, room temperature
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 cup Banana, roasted and mashed
  • 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
So roasting the bananas takes no time at all.  The bananas can't be so ripe that they are spotted and brown.  If they are like that don't bother roasting them and just mash them as is.  Heat your oven to 350℉ and put your fruit on a sheet pan (cover the pan in tin foil of course!  Less mess.).  No spray, no oil.  Dry.  Roast them for 15 minutes and please don't be alarmed...they will come out black.  Let them cool before attempting to peel and mash them.  I actually roasted mine the night before, one less step in the morning.

One other fun tip for you...make your own muffin liners.  Better yet, if you have children that can trace and cut with scissors have them do it!  My friend over at 365 Days of Baking has a genius tutorial on this...and it's so easy!  Mine had such a great time doing this project!  

So for the actual muffins your oven needs to be on 350℉.
Cream the butter and sugar until it's light and fluffy...this can take 3-5 minutes.  Don't be afraid to just set the mixer on and go do something else.  Mash the bananas or make a cocktail get the other ingredients together, whatever...just let the mixer rip.  It's the only time you can...if you do it when the flour is in you will wind up with hockey pucks for muffins.  Hockey pucks are for hockey, not eating.

Add the eggs to the butter and sugar and make sure you beat them in really well...no one likes lumps of egg in their baked goods.  Trust me.

Vanilla should go in next.  It's one of my favorite non-savory ingredients!  Incidently vanilla sugar is amazing and super easy to make you know...container full of sugar, add in two vanilla beans.  Done.

You will need a separate bowl (as you do for any type of baking) to sift in your flour, baking soda and cinnamon.  Notice that my muffin liners are hanging out under a pineapple juice can, upper right?  LOL!

Once it's sifted add it to the mixer with the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in two batches.  Add half, mix until barely just blended and then stop the mixer.

Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and then add in the second half of the dry mix.  Mix until it is JUST incorporated and then stop that mixer!  Remember I talked about the hockey pucks?
Now most people say you should fold in the next two ingredients...I say peshaw!  Add in those bananas, roasted or not, and turn the mixer on low for 10 SECONDS.  No more...no less.
I usually add a Tablespoon or 2 of AP flour to the chocolate chips, it helps them not to sink to the bottom of your muffins. Coat them in the flour then add them to the batter.

Now feel free to fold in the chocolate chips.  Again, unless you have an ice rink in your backyard and need to teach your kids about hat tricks etc just go easy.  I'm not joking.

Fill your muffin tins 2/3 full and bake them for 12-18 minutes.

You are looking for a nice brown top here.  

And be prepared...your kitchen will smell amazing!
I have always used white flour for this recipe but if anyone does try it with whole wheat or half white and half whole wheat please let me know how it turns out in the comments below!  
Bon Appetit...it's time to eat!

3 comments:

  1. Girl, these look and sound incredible! I absolutely LOVE banana bread, so will definitely have to give these a go!
    FANTASTIC job on the muffin liners!! They look wonderful and I'm so glad the kids enjoyed it! Thanks so much for the shout out, you are a sweetheart!
    Kathi, I have to tell you, everytime I click onto your blog and see your pic., I smile...THEN I shudder. LOL! I'm getting there, at least it isn't the other way around anymore!!
    BIG hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I tried this today with sprouted whole wheat flour. Rest I kept the same. They were really light and fluffy batter. Maybe I overmixed? The muffins were yummy but they didn't rise very much. I wonder if I need more baking soda beacause of sprouted whole wheat flour? But the family loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so trying these tomorrow morning. I always have bananas in the house...and chocolate chips come to think of it!! So excited!!

    ReplyDelete