Friday, May 11, 2012

Easy Green Stir Fry...I mean, Vegetable Medley!

I went to Trader Joes' this week and of course went in with a specific list and came out with so much more.  Again.  I can't help it, the place is magical.  I really hope my husband isn't reading this post.  Balls.  So as I was meandering around the joint I came across this bottle of TJ's Soyaki.  ***What the hell is this???*** I said, in my head.  Heaven on Easy Street is what it is I tell you!  It has all the things that a delicious medley needs in one shot...so for those nights that I just don't feel like grating ginger and mincing garlic etc. I can just grab this bottle and be done.  Those nights happen here sometimes, I'm sure you have them too.  Don't get me wrong, I love to cook but sometimes pulling everything out and putting it all away is the part I am over.  I just want easy.  Last night was one of them for me but my babies didn't care, they loved it!  And since my fridge was full from all the shopping I did when we came back from Disney, I had a ton to choose from for veggies.  Sweet!  All I really had to do was chop a few key ingredients and I was plating every ones dinner in 30 minutes!  Not bad for a Thirsty Thursday right?

Here's what you need for the Medley
  • 1 Onion, half moon slices
  • 2 cups Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 1/2 cup Green Beans, cut in half lengthwise
  • 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 1-2 teaspoons Siracha
  • 1 package Tofu, cubed
  • 1/2-3/4 cup Trader Joe's Soyaki Sauce
  • 2 Trader Joe's frozen Cilantro cubes
  • 4 Green Onions
Here's what you need for the Rice
  • 2 1/2 cups Jasmine Rice, cooked
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
  • 1 cup Baby Sweet Peas, frozen
  • 1/2 Lime, zest and juice

Start by marinating the tofu in 1/2 cup of the TJ's Sauce for about 30 minutes.  Everything else will be done well before that.  Remember this is quick but delicious!

So while the tofu is hanging out and getting lovely (let's face it, it's not great unless you do something to it), slice the onions and get them in the wok with some olive oil.  Add pepper.  Always add pepper.
While they are in the wok slice the mushrooms and green beans...it won't take long, 3 minutes or so!
Once the onions are done put them aside in a bowl and then add the mushrooms to your wok.  You may need to add a bit more olive oil.  And pepper!  These beauties will take 4-5 minutes and then add them to the bowl with the onions.  
In my opinion, a kitchen can't smell much better than while cooking onions, mushrooms and garlic (remember the garlic is coming up).  Soooooo...now the mushrooms are done, put them in the bowl with the onions.  Wok...green beans...pepper...Siracha.  Saute 2 minutes and then add in the best ingredient you can cook with.  Yes, I'm talking about garlic.  Add.  It.  Stir it around for 1-2 minutes longer and then guess what?  Add it to the bowl with the onions and mushrooms.  Genius.  

Now comes the tofu.  Listen to me...add the tofu to the wok but NOT the marinade.  It will never brown if you do and will just steam the hell out of itself.  That's gross.  Keep the marinade aside while your tofu is browning up properly, 7-10 minutes. 
If you prefer a different protein, the marinade works with those too...chicken, beef, fish.  Just substitute.  No worries from me. 

Remember that bowl of veggies that's staring you in the face next to your stove?  Go ahead and add that business to your wok along with the marinade I told you to hold on to.  I hope you listened.  

Throw a couple of cubes of cilantro into your wok...or add some fresh if you prefer.  Since I was hanging out on Easy Street, this is what I used, and it works like a charm.  Tiny little cubes of chopped, frozen herbs, think ice cubes for herbs.  Each cube is 1 teaspoon of Cilantro, so if you use fresh throw in 2 teaspoons.  As you can tell math is one of my strong suits.  Bahahahahahaaa! 

Stir everything around and here's where you need to decide if you need a bit more of the marinade...I used a splash more, but don't go crazy.  Get a serving plate and clear that pan out.  Now add the green onions on top.  Look at how delicious it looks!

So for the rice, let me be honest.  I cheat.  If I am making rice, I always make more than I need.  Much more.  And when it comes to a stir fry type of rice, cold leftover rice works best.  Ask Mark Bittman.  I love him.  Google if you must.  Then follow him.  Add the rice to the wok with the olive oil and sesame oil (never just add sesame oil, it will burn and taste nasty, and nasty isn't good!).  And don't go washing the wok either.  There's no need.  Whatever is left from making the medley will just flavor the rice.  Don't be wasteful.  Once the rice has warmed, 3-4 minutes kindly add the peas, lime zest and juice.  The peas should still be frozen when you add them but they are little buggers, they will defrost quite fast so don't worry about it.  
At this point I want you to let the rice and peas get hot in the wok.  Get some plates and utensils, hell I don't care if you use a fork or chop sticks, just get something to get this goodness into your face.
Bon Appetit...it's time to eat!

2 comments:

  1. Go ahead and add that business ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I can't help the snark...it's just not in my nature. :-)

      Delete